Watch, Follow, &
Connect with Us

Please visit our new home
community.embarcadero.com.

Public Report
Report From: Delphi-BCB/IDE/Memory Issues    [ Add a report in this area ]  
Report #:  128284   Status: Resolved
XE7 "not enough memory" when linking
Project:  Delphi Build #:  21.0.17017.3725
Version:    21.0 Submitted By:   Michael Scherr
Report Type:  Basic functionality failure Date Reported:  10/14/2014 1:42:48 AM
Severity:    Critical / Show Stopper Last Updated: 5/13/2015 6:39:41 AM
Platform:    All versions Internal Tracking #:  
Resolution: Duplicate (Resolution Comments) Resolved in Build: : None
Duplicate of:  124473
Voting and Rating
Overall Rating: (5 Total Ratings)
5.00 out of 5
Total Votes: 33
Description
After some hours working on a project, when doing a complete build of a project with about 750k loc the compiler starts, then shows "Linking" and aborts with message (germen version):

Zu wenig Arbeitsspeicher
[Fataler Fehler] Zu wenig Arbeitsspeicher

meaning

not enough memory
[fatal error] not enough memory

If I got this error and just do compile / F9 I get same error. If I press F9 again it starts until I change a single character in the editor. Then the game start again: F9 > out of memory; F9 again > debugger starts.

Using external MSBuild works fine but I prefere the internal debugger. I also increased the virtual mem with no effect.

BDS mem use is 41MB after start, 470MB after project loaded, 800MB after 1st build going up to 1GB after some more build until start showing this error.

Same project, same size under XE2 has never show this error!
Steps to Reproduce:
None
Workarounds
No real workaround / restart IDE / use ext. MSBuild
Attachment
None
Comments

Tomohiro Takahashi at 10/14/2014 6:20:41 PM -
Is your issue same as QC#127702, 125227 etc...?

so, have you already tried the options to build the project externally?
- [Project] | [Options...] | [Delphi Compiler] | [Compile with external MSBuild]

suporte tecnico at 10/17/2014 4:18:58 AM -
When setting the option: [Project] | [Options...] | [Delphi Compiler] | [Compile with external MSBuild]

Disables the "code completation"

Michael Scherr at 10/14/2014 10:49:43 PM -
See above - MSBuild works fine, but that's not what we expect and we only use the 32bit compiler, not 64bit. So no problem with switching the platform.

Such things are a no-go and should be fixed immediatly. I really hope that there will be a hotfix or update as soon as possible and that you're not trying to push us to XE8 to get a fix.

When I see all the issues related to such memory problems I feel like a car buyer who bought a truck and my dealer tells me that I have to get out of the car every mile, run around and start again or use another brands car if I want to transport a heavier load and don't like permanent stops. But hey, in 6 months we're going to release a new, bigger, better  truck. You can buy this again and see if it can do the job, but if not, maybe the year after that... What whould you do if you're the customer...???

Krystian Bigaj at 10/15/2014 5:01:06 AM -
> I really hope that there will be a hotfix or update as soon as possible and that you're not trying to push us to XE8 to get a fix.
Similar/same problem is known from at least XE5: http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=110466
So I don't think that you would get a hotfix/update for XE7 :(

Dan O'Callahan at 12/4/2014 11:49:05 AM -
I have seen this many times very easy to create.  Sometimes you will get Out of Memory and other times it manifests itself as and Internal Error.

I am using TRESTResponseDataSetAdapter to do mobile app developement and it has memory leaks.  I just confirmed that they still exist in XE7 Update 1.  I have used identical code in XE5 without a problem, but it fails in XE6, XE7, and now XE7 Update 1.

Just now, I got the following error after about half dozen compiles changing target between Win64 & Android.  Have seen with iOS as well.

[DCC Fatal Error] FlickUnXE7.pas(861): F2084 Internal Error: AV56C327E9-W002FFD5C-1

BDS Memory Usage climbs rapidly with each compile and it was at 1,065,612K when this error occurred.

I have been updating information in RAD Studio Quality Portal as I was instructed to do in the past, but I don't see any movement on the issue.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9697

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-9623



Server Response from: ETNACODE01